Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Manuscripts must be between 6,000-8,500 words (including notes and bibliography) and be written in English or Portuguese. We prefer that authors submit manuscripts in the language in which they feel most proficient.
Submission of a manuscript will be considered a guarantee that the manuscript has not been previously published, or accepted for publication, and that it is not under consideration at another journal.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is double-spaced and uses a 12-point font. All illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
- Manuscripts must include an abstract of 100-150 words, in both English and Portuguese.
- Literature and humanities manuscripts should follow standard MLA Handbook guidelines. History and social science manuscripts should follow standard Chicago Manual of Style guidelines.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as a single Word file.
- The author is responsible for the accuracy of all quotations and references and for securing written permission for the use of any material copyrighted by others.